Skip to main content


Clean break or spousal maintenance after divorce or dissolution

When you divorce or dissolve your civil partnership in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, one of you may agree to pay the other a lump sum or ongoing spousal maintenance payments. Both are designed to help the financially weaker person adjust to their financial position after divorce. Find out more in this article.

Money Advice Service logo

Arranging interim spousal maintenance in England, Wales, Northern Ireland

If you’re going through divorce or dissolution, you can agree short-term or interim maintenance payments from your husband, wife or civil partner. These can be useful while you work out how you will split your money and property on a permanent basis. Find out how you can arrange interim maintenance and what you could get or pay.

Money Advice Service logo

Useful links

Was this page helpful?