Skip to main content

Getting documents together

Set up an account

Setup an account

You can use the tools within Separation Planner without the need for an account, but if you want to save them so you can update or change them in the future setting up an account now is the best thing to do.

If you’ve already setup an account, login before you start using the tool, so any work you do will be saved into your activity dashboard.

What do you think of Separation Planner?

We’ve put together a survey that gives you the opportunity to tell us what you think. We will use your information to understand better how our users use the service and to help us improve it for users in the future.

As you go through your separation and divorce you’ll need a fair bit of information and many official documents to hand. This is to check dates, facts and figures, and so on. You’ll also need some of these for official forms, and if you seek the support of a mediator or family lawyer they’ll also want these as supporting evidence.

So to make things a little easier for you at this hectic time, here’s a list of the kinds of things you may need.

Note: We recommend you give a full, frank and clear disclosure of all your financial and other relevant circumstances. We can only review your case based on the information you give us. We expect this information to be a true representation of your financial and other relevant circumstances. A failure to give full and accurate disclosure will prevent your case from being reviewed by a Mediator.

If you are found to have been deliberately untruthful, criminal proceedings may be brought against you for fraud under the Fraud Act 2006.



Copies of these document(s) would be acceptable
For example, deeds of covenant from grandparents

Housing - Your home and any other properties you own

These must be from within the past six months (in order to obtain estimates which are accurate, you can consult two or three local estate agents
For example, joint tenants, tenants in common, etc.
This must include whose name the mortgage is in, amount of mortgage outstanding, and any redemption penalty
This needs to include date of maturity, value on maturity, current surrender/fund/transfer value of scheme

Assets and debts

Each must include provider name, account no., and copies of recent statements and pass books showing balances
Please provide certificates of ownership with current valuations of all those that you hold or have an interest in
For example, loans you have made to others
Please provide copies of any documentation
That are owed to you, or you owe to another individual
Copies of rules of any schemes, and statements showing transfer value of pension (this is known as the ‘Cash Equivalent Value’ or CEV), widow(er)s' and death on service benefits and projected value on retirement
Copies of documents showing sum assured, date of maturity, current surrender values, and names of beneficiaries
Documents giving details of all money owed (including any early repayment penalties) either individually or jointly. Including overdrafts on bank accounts, bank loans, other loans (include private loans from friends or family), hire purchase agreements, credit and store cards, and any tax owed


More may be required if your income was irregular
This has the details about your annual gross pay and deductions
This must include accounts, tax return and computation and tax assessments for the previous two years, including an estimate of net income since date of last account
For example, dividends, interest or rental income

ID Verification

One piece of photographic documentation such as:

For example, a UK Citizen ID card

One document confirming your name and current address such as:

For example, a council tax statement
For example. tax assessment, statement of account, notice of coding but not a P45 or P60
For example, child allowance or pension

Check your situation with our assessment tools

  • Informing others

    There will be a number of people and organisations that you will need to contact and let know about your change of circumstances, here’s a list of who you may need to inform.

    person on phone
  • Budget Planner

    Use the Money Advice Service's free Budget Planner to put you in control of your household spending and analyse your results to help you take control of your money.

    Money Advice Service logo

Was this page helpful?